Student Center and Event Services

Plan an Event

Plan an Event

Home Events Plan an Event

 Why Book With Us

Customizable Conference Rooms

Variety of Outdoor Spaces

Crystal Cove Auditorium

World-Famous Destination

Personal Touch

Free Wi-Fi

Audiovisual Technology

Dining Choices

 Start Here

Start planning your event in two steps

  1. Check the corresponding booking release window for your group

    Booking Release Window for Registered Campus Organizations (RCOs)

    Booking Release Window for UC Departments

    Booking Release Window for Off-Campus Groups

  2. When your booking release window is open, log in to UCI Eventive to begin your event request

    UCI Eventive

 Event Planning Guides and Information

Find the information you need to plan your next event before you submit your inquiry.

 Event Lead Times

See the minimum amount of time that is needed to process your event request.

 Event Planning Tips

Gather some essential details to help make your next event a success.

 Venue Information

Find capacities, diagrams, and other information for spaces UCI Student Center & Event Services books.

 Equipment Rentals

View a list of professional, in-house equipment available for you to request for your event.

 Food and Beverage

Casual meals to full-service dining experiences for your event.

 Insurance Coverage Information for Events

Find out if you need insurance coverage for your event.

 Working With Minors

Get guidance on creating a safe event with minors involved with your event.

 Parking and Transportation

Where to park and transportation needs.

Co-Sponsored Events

Fronted events, where an entity books under one name but is intended for another, are strictly prohibited.

Event Planning Resources

Here are your helpful resources for planning a successful event on campus with our Student Center & Event Services (SCES) team.

In order to plan an event with SCES, clients must provide sufficient notice. Event lead times are the minimum number of days required to plan an event.

Event lead times will vary based on the size and scope of an event; some events may fall under the Major Event policy 900-15. If an event inquiry or event information is received with insufficient processing time, then SCES will advise and assist the client in identifying viable alternative event dates. For example, an event with additional approvals or that requires resources from other UCI departments or event service providers will require additional processing time. A request that does not allow for the necessary processing time will necessitate the selection of a date further out that accounts for the time to obtain approvals and secure partner resources.

Event Lead Times

A well-planned event considers the needs and experience of all participants. Federal and state laws require that clients consider all elements of access for individuals with disabilities in an effort to encourage full involvement.

Ask your guests if they need any special accommodations.

Let your Senior Meeting & Event Planner know if you would like to add accommodations to your event. Accommodations may include the following:

  • SCES event stages inside the Student Center Conference Center can be set up with an ADA-compliant ramp and stairs with handrails.
  • Assistive Listening Devices are available for most UCI Student Center Conference Center meeting rooms.
  • Event setups can be customized to accommodate guest accessibility needs.
  • Ask your Senior Meeting & Event Planner about the best ADA access routes from the parking location to the venue.
  • Your Senior Meeting & Event Planner can help direct you to inclusive restrooms, lactation rooms, and wellness rooms at the UCI Student Center Conference Center and throughout campus. Please refer to this interactive campus map for more information.
  • On the day of your event, our staff are on call to assist with accommodations. Service limitations and additional fees may apply. VIP Services (949.351.7736) is available seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. – 12:00 a.m. (except University holidays).

The booking release window lists the first available dates a client may request for space. The following criteria will be applied to events scheduled in the UCI Student Center Conference Center and outdoor venues booked by SCES. This criteria places emphasis on events hosted for UCI students while providing programming opportunities to University of California departments and off-campus client individuals or organizations.

These priorities are based on recommendations from the Student Center Board of Advisors in combination with related campus policies and procedures.

All requests for use of the UCI Student Center Conference Center and outdoor venues will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis within the priority guidelines.

Booking Release Window for Registered Campus Organizations

Booking Release Window for UC Departments

Booking Release Window for Off-Campus Groups

SCES defines co-sponsorship as events that meet one or more of the following criteria:

  1. More than one organization is involved in the planning process—which includes verbal and written instructions—and modifications to existing event contracts and/or
  2. Funding for the event comes from organizations or individuals other than the primary client and/or
  3. Publicity of the event indicates sponsorship involvement including more than the primary client or multiple clients.

Event fees and requirements (e.g., insurance) will be based on the type of client (RCO, UC Department, off-campus) that signs the Confirmation Estimate/Agreement. All planning details, communication, and payment must come to SCES via this client.


Fronted events, where an entity books under one name but is intended for another, are strictly prohibited. Clients caught fronting may face temporary loss of booking privileges, in line with the University’s non-compliance outcomes. If an event is fronted for an external organization, the Client will be charged the full external event fees. Individuals may face disciplinary action under applicable policies. Determination of fronting is at the University’s discretion, considering event details and attendee affiliations. The decision can be appealed to the Student Center Board of Advisors, whose decision is final.

Balloon Tower

When planning for an event, it is important to keep both the design (the overall goal or theme for the space) and décor (such as lighting, linens, balloons, flowers, and pipe & drape) in mind so they are in line with each other.

Please note that decorations may not be affixed (including but not limited to painters tape, thumb tacks, adhesive pads or hooks, etc.) to walls or other campus surfaces unless approved in advance. Glitter and confetti are prohibited in SCES venues. Cleaning and damage costs may apply to restore space to its original condition.

While some décor may be available from on-campus service providers, your Senior Meeting & Event Planner may be able to assist with recommendations for (or booking) off-campus rentals or support services. Speak with your Senior Meeting & Event Planner for details.

If you choose to hire an event service provider, the University of California requires that insurance certificates naming UC Regents as additional insured be provided by any off-campus service providers or vendors operating on University premises. Please refer to the Insurance, Liability, and Waivers section for more information. UCI does not have a list of preferred off-campus service providers and vendors.

Terrace Stage Lighting

SCES offers a variety of equipment to enhance your event in the Student Center Conference Center. SCES rents, sets up, and tears down event equipment in the Student Center Conference Center. A limited selection of outdoor equipment is available for events in SCES-managed venues.

Equipment Rentals

Student Center & Event Services is your resource for the University’s policy regarding filming on campus property and will assist you with all the necessary arrangements for your film or photography shoot.

Filming and Photography Shoots

UCI Catering has first right of refusal at the UCI Student Center Conference Center (including Student Center Terrace Stage, Student Center Ring on Ring Mall, Anteater Steps & Courtyard, Pacific Ballroom Patio, and Doheny Beach Patio). Unless an exception is obtained from UCI Catering, no other caterer may serve or deliver food or beverages to the UCI Student Center Conference Center. Clients may pick up and bring food and beverages to their event. For more information, visit UCI Dining Services’ website.

If you are hosting an event at an outdoor venue, you may use a University-approved caterer.

Event Food and Beverage


Clients are responsible for complying with any applicable elements of the UCOP Sustainability Policy and UCI Sustainable Purchasing policies, including restrictions on the use and purchase of Styrofoam and single-use plastics.

General Assignment Classrooms (GACs)

Food or beverages may not be served in UCI classrooms or lecture halls.

Registered Campus Organizations (RCOs)

RCOs can sell food to fundraise for their organizations. They can also serve food at their meetings and events. The organization must follow the UCI Food Service Guidelines policy (Section 500.b.1) and obtain a Temporary Food Permit from UCI Environmental Health & Safety

Cooking spaces outdoors are limited to specific areas of Ring Mall. Look for the “COOKING” label on the Ring Mall maps to identify standard cooking spaces. Not all cooking spaces have access to power. Canopies cannot be used over flames. Campus fire extinguisher requirements apply. See UCI Fire Safety Regulations for extinguisher details.

Off-Campus Groups

Off-campus groups cannot book venue space at UCI to sell food products or distribute free samples of food or beverages. Contact UCI Dining for more information. Alternatively, off-campus groups may want to consider participation in the ASUCI Vendor Fair.


The use of alcohol at events is governed by UCI policy. An approved UCI Alcohol Request Form must be obtained prior to serving alcohol at an on-campus event. Alcohol may only be served by an insured, University approved caterer.

UCI Catering has an alcohol permit from Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) to serve alcoholic beverages within the UCI Student Center Conference Center. Labor charges to hire TIPS certified bartenders through UCI Catering will apply. In accordance with the campus alcohol policy, you will also need to submit a Request to Serve or Sell Alcoholic Beverages at least 20 business days in advance of the event. Onsite staffing at an hourly rate will be required for events booked in venues managed by SCES. Additional costs (e.g., cost of a day permit from ABC) and requirements (layout requirements from ABC to contain alcohol service) will apply to other venues (e.g., outdoors). Alcohol may only be served by an insured, University approved caterer (i.e., The Service Company formerly known as Acrobat Outsourcing). Notify your Senior Meeting & Event Planner if you plan to use a TIPS certified bartender other than UCI Catering.

Depending on your event activities, you might be required to complete various forms or permits. Please visit Forms and Permit Applications for more information, and talk to your Senior Meeting & Event Planner.

Forms and Permit Applications


Depending on your event activities and sponsoring organization(s), certificates of liability insurance may be required for your event.

A Certificate of Insurance (COI) provides proof that an event client, temporary vendor, exhibitor, or event service provider has purchased an insurance policy and that The Regents of the University of California have certain rights under that policy. The Certificate of Insurance verifies that the indemnification and UCI insurance requirements outlined in SCES’ Confirmation Estimate Terms & Conditions have been met. See Insurance Coverage Information for Events for more.

Insurance Coverage Information for Events


The client can be held legally and financially responsible for an event. Signers for a UCI Registered Campus Organization (RCOs) should refer to RCO Insurance Liabilities for more information about personal liability.


The UCI Waiver of Liability is designed to protect the University and its employees from legal liability for injuries that may occur to students or other individuals who participate in certain voluntary activities on and off the UCI campus. The law regards a waiver of liability, signed prior to participation in a voluntary activity, as a binding agreement by which the participant agrees that a specific entity, e.g. the University and its employees, will not be held liable for any harm or injury that the participant suffers.

When Waivers Are Required

The University requires the use of waivers when an event includes elements or activities that are inherently risky. In general, an event will require participant waivers if the event involves physical activities (e.g., hiking, dancing, performing, rock-climbing, etc.), science or tech experiments, medical activities (e.g., patient visits, medical skill training), off-campus travel (e.g., a field trip as part of a day program or summer residential conference), or minors. If minors will attend your event, please visit the Working with Minors section. Waivers limit the University’s exposure to claims and lawsuits when people voluntarily participate in activities which may involve an element of risk, but they also serve an educational purpose by making people think about the potential risks of an activity. Departments that do not use waivers when they are required to may have to contribute to the settlement of any claims or lawsuits that could have otherwise been avoided if the waiver had been used.

How Waivers Must Be Used

Waiver forms must be used in the exact format provided. They cannot be reduced to fine print or reworded. Anyone who refuses to sign a waiver prior to an activity that requires a waiver may not participate in the activity. Participants may not alter or delete any language in the waiver. Minors cannot sign waivers. A parent or legal guardian must sign the waiver of any participant under the age of 18.

At this time, only English versions of the liability waiver are available. Waivers should not be translated into other languages without permission from UCI Risk Services. Risk Services may be able to provide translation services. Please note—to write an official waiver form and have it accurately translated takes additional time. Please plan ahead.

For programs with participants that do not have electronic devices, a paper waiver can be requested from UCI Risk Services.

How to Obtain an Event Waiver

For clients working with Student Center & Event Services (SCES), complete the Event Liability Waiver Information Form (Day program or Overnight program) and submit for review at least 21 days prior to distribution deadlines.

Event Liability Waiver Information Form

Ring Mall Marquees

Effective event promotion is vital in ensuring your guests are informed of significant event details. After establishing your purpose, target audience, and budget, you can more precisely shape promotional efforts to the needs of your event.

The UCI Brand

Any use of names, marks, logos, or trademarks of the University of California, the Irvine campus, or any abbreviations thereof in connection with events held on University property must comply with policy and may require prior approval in writing. See UCI Policy 700-20 for details. Client must notify SCES of any proposed use of names, marks, logos or trademarks at least 15 days prior to the event start so time is available for any necessary approvals.

See the UCI Brand website for brand and visual identity standards.

UCI Brand

Posting Guidelines

UCI students, faculty, staff, Registered Campus Organizations (RCOs), and UC departments may post and exhibit noncommercial literature and printed materials only in approved locations, and may distribute such literature and materials only in areas open to the public generally. Printed materials may not be affixed to building surfaces. See the UCI Posting Policy for more details. Posting flyers on the interior and exterior surfaces of the Student Center is prohibited. For a fee, University can hang banners from the ceiling or create and display a variety of custom signs. Client may bring event posters to place on an easel during an event, as long as the placement of easels has been approved by SCES in advance.

UCI Policy 900-12: Policy on Posting and Distribution of Literature and Materials

Solicitation Guidelines

Off-campus clients (i.e., entities that are not University of California departments) may not solicit the University community without written permission from University in advance. In addition, solicitation activities must comply with applicable regulations and laws, including but not limited to the CAN-SPAM act. See CAN-SPAM Act for details.

Ideas for Marketing and Promotion

Marketing and Promotion

SCES offers an array of marketing and promotional services for your event.

UCI Strategic Communications and Public Affairs Digital Archive (Widen)

UCI departments and students may create visual materials with the resources offered by UCI Strategic Communications.

Off-campus event service providers such as equipment rental companies, florists, balloon vendors, DJs, and videographers are a great resource to enhance the look and feel of an event. Requirements may apply if they provide services or staffing for your event (whether or not they are hired or on a volunteer basis).

The SCES team can order many off-campus services on your behalf and add the charges to your final event bill. This takes the burden of the purchasing, contracting and insurance elements off your plate. Ask your Senior Meeting & Event Planner for details.

All event clients may coordinate off-campus services on their own. When a UCI department works with an event service provider, they will need to work directly with their department finance team and Procurement Services to ensure proper agreements and reimbursement procedures are followed.

All event service providers will be required to provide certificates of insurance. The types and coverage amounts will vary based on the type and scope of services being provided. General insurance requirements are outlined in UC Policy BUS 63. See the Insurance, Liability, and Waivers section for more.

For more information on off-campus event services providers, refer to Procurement Policies.

Parking permits are required at all times for all vehicles parked on campus. Parking permit rates can be found online. For information about parking services and staffing, contact UCI Transportation & Distribution Services Guest and Event Services team at 949.824.2690 or

Parking Permits

Clients are responsible for handling all associated parking and transportation-related arrangements with the Guest and Event Services team directly to review and coordinate the event services and staffing needed, along with the current pricing. The Guest and Event Services team will work directly with the client, prepare a contract for the client, and bill the client directly.

A wide range of policies can apply to an event depending on its size and scope. For common policies that frequently relate to events booked by SCES, refer to the Policies and Guidelines page. Review these policies to ensure you are familiar with University requirements.

Policies and Guidelines

The health, safety, and well-being of your event and guests is our highest priority. We rely on all of our visitors to abide by state and local laws to keep everyone safe. Please familiarize yourself with UCI Emergency Response Procedures and general safety guidelines at UCI via Environmental Health & Safety.

Life Safety Equipment

See locations for AED in the Student Conference Center in the building map.

Ask a team member for the location of the nearest fire extinguisher.

Tampering with life safety equipment (e.g., fire extinguishers or AEDs) is a violation of state law and, in addition, may result in disciplinary action, including removal from the University. Event participants may not disconnect, damage, or tamper with life safety devices in any way. Participants and guests shall immediately report any safety issues or equipment malfunctions to SCES staff.

Ensuring Compliance

SCES will review the event details provided during the booking process to ensure compliance with University environmental health and safety policies, fire code, and campus fire safety requirements. Depending on the location and size of the event, the Campus Fire Marshal will calculate the total amount of occupants allowed at one time.

Free-Standing, Temporary Structures

Organizations wishing to construct a free-standing, temporary structure or display (including Greek letters) for their event should submit a UCI Eventive request at least 30 days in advance. Clients will need to complete and submit a Request for Free-Standing, Temporary Structure to SCES for review and processing. The review request must be submitted to the Event Services team more than 15 days in advance. SCES staff will work with campus personnel to conduct a safety review of the proposed design. If the structure meets basic campus requirements, it may receive pre-approval for the event. All structures are subject to onsite inspection. Per campus policy, no free-standing, temporary structure or display can be over 10-feet high.

 Request for Free-Standing, Temporary Structure

Open-Flame Devices

Organizations, groups, and individuals interested in using open-flame devices (e.g., candles, torches, gas grills, butane burners, or any other flame-producing device) must obtain permission at least 15 days in advance of the event start. Each event will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis in coordination with the UCI Fire and Life Safety Division. Open-flame devices will only be approved when appropriate measures have been taken to ensure fire safety (examples include having a fire extinguisher at the event and ensuring that outdoor cooking is in an approved Ring Mall cooking space).


Client’s event participants must evacuate University facilities any time a fire alarm sounds or in the event of an emergency. Failure to evacuate may result in disciplinary action.

Working With Minors

For information on working with minors, see the Working with Minors section.


In accordance with California Penal Code, most weapons are not permitted on University property. See UCI Police Department’s Guide for details. To request permission to use weapons (or weapon-like objects) at an event, clients must submit their request to University more than 15 days prior to the event start for review.

The presence of University-approved security personnel may be required depending on the size and scope of an event. SCES will coordinate with the UCI Police Department on a case-by-case basis to determine security needs. SCES does not take responsibility for equipment or supplies brought to campus by the client, its vendors, or its participants or guests. You may want or need to request to hire Community Safety Ambassadors (CSAs) to monitor equipment prior to, during, and after the event.

Community Safety Ambassadors

Outdoor Events

For outdoor events, “sound” is any sound made outdoors whether amplified (e.g., PA system, DJ, bullhorn, radio, computer speakers, etc.) or not. Sound that disrupts or conflicts with the functioning of operations of the University is prohibited.

Sound should only be amplified to an adequate and appropriate level for the intended audience and venue, as determined by the University under time, place and manner.

Permission from University must be obtained in advance to use sound outdoors. Sound requests are typically considered on weekdays in designated spaces on Ring Mall and in Aldrich Park between noon and 1 p.m. Sound requests for the Student Center Terrace Stage are typically considered between the hours of 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Use of sound outdoors during other time periods and on weekends may also be considered.

To request to use sound outdoors, complete and submit the Request for Sound Form. This form should be submitted 15 days in advance of your event start in order to allow sufficient time for review. Submitting this form does not guarantee approval of your request.

 Request for Sound

Indoor Events

For indoors, sound is any noise whether amplified (e.g., musical instruments) or not (e.g., drums, large group of voices singing without instruments) that could be heard through the walls into adjoining spaces.

Indoor sound that is loud enough (e.g., singing, drums, other instruments, etc.) that could disrupt other programs or activities needs to be booked in spaces where there are solid, thick walls or a sufficient buffer.

Client must inform their Senior Meeting & Event Planner during the booking process if the event will have loud sound so an appropriate location can be determined.

Communicating With Your Senior Meeting & Event Planner

For events with speakers, entertainment, and performances, SCES may require onsite technical or assistance staffing, determined by the specific types of entertainment and equipment needed for the event. Associated staffing fees will apply.

If your event has speakers (e.g., UCI department, RCO, or off-campus presenters), be prepared to provide SCES with the speaker’s first and last name, as well as their topic.

SCES will work with you on any special needs and arrangements (e.g., booking a green room, audiovisual needs) for your speaker(s).

If you plan to have any VIP or special guests at the event, including members of the media, political figures, celebrities, or even the UCI Chancellor, make sure to inform your Senior Meeting & Event Planner. You may need to consider parking arrangements, security, and other special considerations for your guest(s).

In general, performances with weapons and props that look like weapon-like objects are not permitted on University premises, so check with your Senior Meeting & Event Planner if you want to have a performance with these kinds of objects. Insurance and safety requirements apply if an exception is granted to allow such activity.

All performances and event components must comply with Fire Code and general safety guidelines.

Arrangements With Speakers and Performers

Ask your speaker if they have had any crowd or audience management issues and share the information with your Senior Meeting & Event Planner. The event planner can help you plan for any security needs and help you find a venue with the right fit to the speaker and event logistics.

If you plan to hire off-campus entertainment providers, be sure to ask if they can provide insurance. The University of California requires that insurance certificates naming UC Regents as additional insured be provided for any entertainment or event service providers operating on University premises. If you are part of a UC department, work with campus purchasing staff to ensure a proper agreement is executed and the vendor is properly onboarded.

Check with your performers to identify any equipment they plan to bring with them (e.g., sound systems, instruments, etc.), as well as to ask if they have any equipment or special needs (e.g., green room, sound check, etc.). You will need to discuss these details with your Senior Meeting & Event Planner.

Temporary Vendors

A prospective Temporary Vendor is an individual or company asking for permission to sell products or services. Common examples of vendors include entities or individuals selling books, stickers, apparel, accessories, etc. Senior Meeting & Event Planners will need to confirm that the item is not violating any existing agreements or pose competition with on-campus stores (e.g., The Hill, UCI Dining Services, and Trademarks & Strategic Contracts).

Off-Campus Temporary Vendors must have a department sponsor and valid California resale license per Policy 900-16.

Temporary Vendors will need to apply for a Temporary Vendor Permit, sign a Vendor Agreement, and provide a Certificate of Liability Insurance (due at least 15 days prior to the event for review and approval). See the Insurance, Liability and Waivers section for insurance requirements.

Exhibitors or Information Tables

An exhibitor is an individual or individuals representing a company or organization who would like to bring equipment, giveaways, or flyers to an event to have an information table. Exhibitors might be invited by a client to participate in an event, or they might be a client and sign a contract directly with SCES.

Exhibitors are not asking for permission to sell products or services at an event. Exhibitors may not ask for sensitive personal information such as a social security number, credit card information, etc.

While SCES does not have a form for approving exhibitor participation at a client’s event, clients will need to collect certain information about the exhibitor and provide it to SCES, including:

  • if they will bring any of their own equipment (e.g., banners, laptops, display items, etc.)
  • if they need access to power
  • if they need the venue or client to provide any equipment for them
  • if they will be offering giveaways

SCES will need a list of the names of each exhibitor and the details about what they will bring or need about 3 – 4 weeks prior to the event start. From this information, you and your Senior Meeting & Event Planner can determine equipment rental needs, layout for the exhibitor area, if power is available, and any applicable approvals or insurance requirements.

If the exhibitor plans to bring paper materials (e.g., flyers, brochures, pens, tablecloth, etc.) ONLY, they do not need to provide insurance. If the exhibitor plans to bring any additional items, they will require proof of insurance. See the Insurance, Liability and Waivers section for insurance requirements.

Receiving and Storing Materials

If you have temporary vendors or exhibitors at your event, you will need to coordinate the shipping and receiving of any materials. SCES has limited receiving and storage options. Packages that have not been coordinated may not be accepted.

Check with SCES for details on receiving and storage policies. SCES can usually receive items 72 hours or less in advance of an event and hold items awaiting shipment for 24 hours or less. SCES does not accept responsibility for items that are shipped to SCES or are left behind in a SCES-managed facility. If you would like to store items on SCES premises, you must request permission from SCES at least 15 days prior to the event start date. If SCES can approve the storage request, labor and space usage fees will apply. In addition, you must return a completed Storage Waiver to SCES prior to the event.

SCES manages indoor venues in the Student Center Conference Center, select general assignment classrooms (GACs), and outdoor venues on the UCI campus, including Aldrich Park, outdoor plazas, Ring Mall, Mesa Field, and Pelennor Field.

For information about (and images of) venues managed by SCES, visit the Venue Information page. You can view 360° images of the individual venue spaces located within the Student Center Conference Center.

Venue Information

Events with minors (individuals under the age of 18) require advanced planning, supervision plans, onsite supervision, consideration of transportation to and from UCI (note: insurance requirements from transportation providers apply), sexual molestation and abuse insurance, and University waiver documents must be signed by parents or legal guardians well in advance of the event. See the Insurance, Liability, and Waivers section for details. SCES venues do not allow for and are not suitable for daycare or childcare.

All events with minors (individuals under the age of 18) who are not accompanied by their parent or legal guardian, are subject to University waiver requirements. For such events, the client is responsible for getting the participant’s parent or legal guardian to complete a liability waiver (provided by University electronically or, by exceptional approval, on paper) prior to participant’s arrival for the event. For paper waiver copies, the client is responsible for distributing, collecting, and storing the signed waivers for two years beyond the minor’s 18th birthday. When working with a group of minors of close ages, (e.g., 5th graders) the waivers may be maintained as a group and discarded two years after all members of that group are expected to have reached age 18. University waivers may not be changed or altered in any way.

Most programs with minors in attendance are also required to provide sexual molestation and abuse insurance.

A311 Student Center · Irvine, CA 92697-2050
Phone: 949.824.5252 · Email: